The Video Art Archive is a pilot project initiated by Arts Council Norway in 2011, and developed by PNEK in the period 2012–2016, after which the pilot project will develop into a permanent national structure. Curators and researchers can apply for free online access to browse the database and contents. Norway-based artists may deposit masterfiles securely in the archive for free.
Key issues to be addressed during the pilot period:
• Systematic mapping and collection of all video/film/media art that has been produced in Norway since the mid-1960s.
• Development of «Archive Tool», a custom-made database software built on open open source standards (MIT licence).
• Creation of a user-friendly interface for the database.
• Management of secure user/access levels.
• Digitization of older physical video formats to uncompressed digital file formats.
• Storage of old videotapes and playback equipment.
• Interviews, articles, presentations
Mailing address: Videokunstarkivet, PO Box 2181 Grünerløkka, 0505 Oslo, Norway
Per Platou (project manager)
Phone: (+47) 9306 9406
Resource group: Marit Paasche, Ivar Smedstad, Anne Marthe Dyvi
Tech partners and collaborators: Norgesfilm AS (Kristiansand) and LIMA/Toxus (Amsterdam)
Funded by Arts Council Norway